- National Film Corporation was the responsible body for film distribution. Then the private sector was granted power to distribute films by government circular in 1997 (DMS 360/NFC/P).
Following circuits are the responsible bodies for film distribution.
- Lanka Film Distributors Pvt Limited [LFD]
- E.A.P. Films and Theaters Pvt Limited [EAP]
- Movie Producers and Importers Pvt Limited. [MPI]
- Cinema Entertainment Pvt Limited. [CEL]
- Rithma Circuit(NFC).
- Condition Report from NFC and the approval certificate of Public Performance Board should be obtained prior to the distribution of films.