FILM IMPORTATION POLICY OF NATIONAL FILM CORPORATION OF SRI LANKA
Sri Lanka film corporation published a newspaper notice on 09 th October 1999 in respect of the above matter.
Some of the sections of the aforesaid notice were amended by newspaper notices dated 03.01.2000 and 29.03.2002. In addition to the aforesaid amendments, it is hereby notified that out of the matters published on 09.10.1999, matters started under section 01, 02, 05 and 07 were cancelled and the following matters have been inserted for the said matters.
- Suppliers are registered by National Film Corporation of Sri Lanka for the importation of films. The following persons can register for the importation of films
- Owners of Cinema halls who engage in Cinema Industry. (Cinema Hall businessmen being the temporary lessees of the Cinema Halls for a period less than 02 years do not fall into this category).
- Suppliers effectively engaged in the duty of importation of films during the past two years.
- Film producers who have produced more than 02 films for public exhibition.
- New applicants who are expecting to import films.
- Exhibition boards distributing the films.
- The maximum numbers of films that can be imported to Sri Lanka within one calendar year shall be limited as follows
- Accordingly the number of films and number of copies of films that can be imported to any one of five Exhibition boards are as follows
|ENGLISH||13 (Copies 03)|
|TAMIL||70 (Copies 06)|
|HINDI||25 (Copies 03)|
|OTHERS||10 (Copies 03)|
- The above mentioned registered film importers shall import films according to the quota allocated for each Exhibition board.
- All films Imported under these Quotas should have been produced within the 05 years,immediately preceding the date of import.
- Clause No.03 will not apply to films of special artistic merit imported for commercial release, and for the development of film culture.
- Selection of the films for importation shall be made according to the discretion of the said importers. In special instances, due to cultural, social and security reasons, the tape record of the film shall be submitted for the approval of the Corporation. The Film Corporation may cause to submit the said tape record to the selection board and may cause to grant the relevant approval.
- All films are subject to censorship by the Public Performances Board.
- If the public performance board refuses the approval for any imported film the importer shall take action to send back the said film the all expenses for returning the film shall be incurred by the importer of such film. If the relevant supplier refuses to accept the said film copy, the Corporation may cause to destroy the said film copy before the officers of Fire Extinguishing Department and the said expense also shall be incurred by the importer.
- The copyright for film imported should be for a minimum period of 04 years and a maximum of 05 years. Broadcasting rights for television should have been obtained for a minimum of 02 years and a maximum of 03 years.
- All films imported should be of 35 mm gauge and formats above, and printed in a laboratory. Even if such prints would have been approved by the laboratory after test projections, they have to conform to general technical standards and the following conditions.
- The copies of films imported to Sri Lanka for commercial screening should be of 35 mm gauge.
- These copies should not have technical defects of any description in picture and sound (that occur in copy printing)
- These prints should conform to the same length as stated in the application made to the National Film Corporation for their importation. Under special circumstances, the length originally indicated may differ by a length not exceeding 0.15% (15ft for every 1000 ft)
- The leaders of every reel should conform to the standard length. The beginning leader should carry the name and the reel number of the film and the end leader should carry the part number. (Starting leader -24 ft, end leader 5 ft-8 ft)
- The number of maximum side cuts in a 1000 ft. reel of a screening copy should not exceed 6. The minimum distance between two such cuts should not exceed 100 ft. lf such side cuts a present, the Importer should mend those.
- There should not be more than 04 joints in the body of the film containing picture and sound in a 1000 ft reel the minimum distance between two such joints should not exceed 100 ft.
- There should not be more than 06 joints in the main body of the film containing picture and sound in a 2000 ft. reel. The minimum distance between two such joints should not exceed 100 ft.
- Positive scratches, sprocket enlargements and sprocket run overs, in a very slight degree may be acceptable.
- There should not be folding, curlings or warps.
In special circumstances whereby the condition of a film print cannot be judged by the foregoing particulars and there is conflict of opinion, the print will be referred to a special panel of viewers for a decision.
- Any attempt at substituting films for those approved by the NFC, or attempts to deliberately mislead the Corporation or cause inconvenience or bring the Corporation to disrepute on the part of any importer, may result in the cancellation of the import license or its suspension for a period of 05 years, for which action the NFC is empowered.
- The procedure as stipulated above is subject to any amendments which may be made to the Film Corporation Act in future.
- The decision of the Chairman with regard to the import of films Would be final.
- Yes No
I CERTIYFY THAT THE ABOVE PARTICULARS ARE TRUE AND CORRECT AND HEREBY ABIDE TO ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- TO IMPORT THE FILM WITHIN THREE MONTHS OF OBTAINING AUTHORITY FROM THE NATIONAL FILM CORPORATION. IF THE FILM IS NOT IMPORTED WITHIN THE STIPULATED PERIOD, THE WRITTEN AUTHORITY GRANTED WILL BE CANCELLED.
- TO HANDOVER THE PRINT OF THE FILM TO THE NATIONL FILM CORPORATION AND OBTAIN APPROVAL OF THE PUBLIC PERFORMANCE BOARD THROUGH THE NATIONAL FILM CORPORATION.
- TO SUBMIT PROOF OF THE THEATRICAL RIGHTS IN SRI LANKA ALONG WITH THE SYNOPSIS AND ANY OTHER RELEVANT DOCUMENTS OF THE FILM.
- TO SCREEN THE FILMS ACCORDING TO THE REGULATIONS OF THE NATIONAL FIL CORPORATION.
- IF THE INFORMATION FURNISHED BY ME ARE FOUND TO BE INCORRECT. I HEREBY AGREE TO BEAR ALL EXPENSES IN CONNECTION.